We've worked hard to make the transition to Version 6 smooth and painless but there are a couple things to keep in mind as you jump into the latest and greatest Font Awesome.
We’ll cover how to upgrade, whether you use a Kit or CDN. All the instructions here assume you're using the official Font Awesome WordPress plugin.
Upgrade from Version 5 When Using a Kit
If you're using a Kit, all you need to do is change your kit's version setting to Version 6. Then refresh your kit information in your WordPress plugin settings. Your version 6 kit will handle any backwards compatibility automatically. Lastly, go grab yourself a coffee with all that time you just saved.
You can either create a new Kit or upgrade an existing one. Heads up though - If you use Version 6 icons and tools, you won't be able to successfully switch back to Version 5 without removing those from your project.
If you need to switch between Web Font and SVG+JS technologies we recommend creating a different kit to switch between technologies because we've seen some delay in getting updates when using the same kit due to caching.
Upgrade Your Kit
Upgrade from Version 5 When Using the CDN
If you'd like to switch to a kit, complete these steps:
- Head to your kits and create a new Kit and set the version to 6.
- In your Font Awesome account settings, generate an API key. If you already have one you can use the existing key.
- In your WordPress plugin settings switch from using the CDN to a Kit.
- Use your Font Awesome API key in the plugin settings to pull in your Kit information.
- When your kit information comes up, select the Version 6 kit you created and save your settings.
Now all your icons are upgraded and you have access to all the new features of Version 6 and Font Awesome Kits including all new icons, custom icon uploads, and automatic subsetting.